Skip to main content

Shimla - The Queen Of Hills !

Bone-chilling cold crept up  my legs into my torso. My teeth started chattering when I suddenly realized that the temperature had gone far below zero degree Celsius. I switched on the ignition of my car and turned on the heater to full blast before my legs became numb.
                                    This is how I was welcomed to Shimla in the state of Himachal Pradesh, India, in the month of January. Luckily, my car started immediately against my strong belief that it would not in such cold weather, as, that was the first time I had driven my Volkswagon Polo to a hill station in winters. I woke my college mate up who had coiled like a viper on the conductor seat of our car under the common blanket we had been sharing for past four hours. Being taller and heavier between us, my legs had to bear the wrath of winters as most of the time they had not been covered. At that moment I cursed myself for making such a rash decision of traveling to Shimla in the evening. The reason for not doing that in the first place was the weather forecast, requesting tourists to turn back as Shimla had had six to ten feet of snow after twenty-five years of gap, which, had led to the closure of most of the highways leading towards the city. There had also been an announcement about the power cuts and cuts in the water supply.












                        Despite repeated warnings, we made our way up to Solan which was approximately midway between Shimla and Chandigarh. After reaching there we saw a convoy of cars descending down the hill as they had been turned back from Shimla due to lack of parking space or hotel rooms in some cases(mostly families). Yeah! we were so rash that those warnings and obvious signs meant nothing to us. We kept on going uphill. Being confident of our young age and the ration in our car we thought we could make it. The first sign (which should have been the last) of letting it go and resting midway for us was - roads full of snow. Other obvious signals were long traffic jams and also my car slipping due to the sleet of ice on the highway. Dismissing the fact that Shimla and surrounding cities in the radius of 20 kilometers were completely booked, we confidently kept on climbing. It was very risky and stupid on our part.
                                                                       Finally, what made us stop was the exhaustion from the activities of the previous day, as it was midnight already and we had been making an average speed of 20 km/hr only. D-Pal was the name of the lodge where I parked my car and was very politely suggested to sleep in it as the lodge had already been booked. This brings us back to the very starting of my story where I was cursing my rash decisions and my legs being numb.
                                                                When I got up it was 5 am. Got out and drank a whole can of Redbull in minus four-degree Celsius. Still unfazed from the dramatic events of the previous night we decided to carry on our journey forward. The major reason for doing so was the courage and determination which resides in you once you are done with medical school. No matter how stupid or tough your exam is you have to write it and pass. So, we decided to go at a very slow speed with our eyes and ears open. To our surprise, most of the way was clear of traffic except snowmaking highway a very narrow road to travel. There were instances like this -:
Yeah! snow, trees, and poles falling on the moving vehicles. This happened just ten kilometers away from Shimla, so obviously, we were adamant to make it and get stuck in the traffic jam again. 
                                                                           As soon as we entered the city we were informed by the traffic police to park our car in the middle of the road as the whole highway was jam-packed and there was just some space left to walk. You might be thinking all these risks for what! To answer that question let me present - Exhibit One -:

That's the view from my car's window where we finally parked. This literally made us feel that we were in heaven or in clouds as it was our first time to experience snow. Thanks to the modern technology we were also able to capture many HD shots (click it)  of the landscape surrounding Shimla and the valley as well. 
                                                      On the very first day, we walked around twenty thousand steps in the snow with our backpacks on our shoulders. Although it was very tiring but worth every step taken. One thing that I learnt from this trip was that melted ice is not at all easy to walk on as I slipped at least 150 times (counted) in two days. We visited many Tourists Attractions (Click It) in the city. 
                                                                           Despite being a main attraction of Himachal there was a scarcity of water and food supplies due to heavy snow and an unprepared municipal corporation. So that was the main problem during that period, which, also made me realize, how dependent I had become on technology to enjoy in such a beautiful place.  Thanks to Airbnb we were able to find a good place to stay the night. The view from our balcony was as amazing as other places shown by me.

 This visit really made me understand why Britisher would call Shimla - The Queen of hills.
                                                                          In a nutshell, if anyone of you is planning a trip in the months of December or January for  North India then Shimla should be at least in top five of your choices.  

PS - I urge all of the readers to  
                               READ.COMMENT.SHARE

Comments

  1. Sounds like an Adventure...Sleeping in car on a cold winter night makes it an epic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an epic bro !! Tu toh janta hi hai

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Attention ! Attention !!

First though t -  Maybe some announcement. Wrong Second though t - OK. The author wants attention.  True In this particular piece, I would like to address an issue of - Lack of Attention amongst us. The motivation behind this particular piece is my real life friend. Lack of attention when someone talks, discusses, reads or writes something without graphical depiction of the subject is a real issue nowadays. The attention span of most of the modern humans has become smaller than the time taken by a hand grenade to explode after taking out the pin, which ranges from 4 to 8 seconds. This might seem like an exaggeration but is actually very true. The first proof in my argument is that few of the readers are already bored by now, reading about a Real Problem . So to just keep them engrossed here it is -                                                                               Many of you might choose to read about what I have to express, few because of the previo

Attention ! Attention !! 2.0

DISCLAIMER  I am not against any kind of invention, discovery or advancement of technology. This blog is not written because I feel superior to any other human just because of my profession.  This is not written to badmouth or discourage you from using some specific sites.  These are just my views about a particular subject. Nothing more. All the pictures used by me are downloaded from google and I do not own them.  I think I should start from where I wasn't clear in my last write-up , as, pointed out by few of my friends. So the problem about which I was talking was - the advent of technology in everyone's life. Before I express my views I would like you to go down the memory lane and remember about your school life. Do you remember how we used to have school debates and extempore. Now let the juices of your brain flow and try to extract out this particular information that in one of those you might have debated about the advent of technology in the modern era or

Awards and Achievements......

Born in a family of intellectuals it was always difficult for me to cope up with the achievements of my parents and siblings. The only discussion which used to take place for the most part of the year was how should we change and improvise our strategy to be at the top of the class, only academically. Physical superiority was never a strong suit at my home. Being fit and involved in any kind of physical work was looked down upon as a distraction and deviation from the real course of life. The Right Path.                                                                                    Meeting new people every year, those who would join the class with each new session was looked upon as measuring up them. Measuring them up in their intellect, physical prowess and finally coming to a conclusion what should be the new change in our plans to succeed in that year of life. I still remember myself as the black sheep of the family. Someone, who would never go in the direction of mas